Monday, September 1, 2014

Digging it Deeper

One of these days I am going to learn!

Maybe? 

OK...on second thought...probably not.

But I do try.

The other night as I was going to bed, I walked into the office where Daddy was working and asked if He was coming to bed or if He intended to keep working. 

He thought for a few seconds but then decided to send me on to bed. However, before I walked out of the room, He handed me a bill and said that it needed to be taken care first thing the next morning. 

Since I was already upstairs, I carried it into the bedroom and laid it down on the dresser.

You already see where this is going, don't you?
 
Actually, I already found out the next is really your eyesight!

What makes this whole story even worse is that when I got into bed, I thought...Self, you should really not be lazy.  Just go ahead and take that downstairs and put it in your purse because you are going to FORGET it.  Self said "nah...we'll be extra sure to remember in the morning."

Well, just as I suspected, I was sitting at my desk about mid-morning when it hit me. 

Oh gosh...I forgot!!

No, problem though.  I would just wait for one of the kids to get home from school, call them and have them read the phone number and invoice number to me over the phone and then I would call and get that thing taken care of.

I even gave myself a little pat on the back for my super ninja problem solving skills!

Haha...that is until I got that lunch time phone call.  You know the one.  It's the one when your significant other, calmly and casually, inserts into an otherwise completely normal conversation that you are in trouble. 

Oh crap...He must have seen it laying on the dresser when He was getting ready for work.   

I launch into my explanation about how I was going to handle it and at some point I just stopped mid-sentence.

Wait...did you already take care of it?

Yes.

Shit <squeaky voice in my head>

But I really did have a plan to take care of it.  I promise I was going to...blah blah blah. 

Oh, hell...I might as well face it.  This wasn't working.  The only thing I heard from the other end of the line was Him smiling as I continued to dig this hole 6 feet deep. 

I finally just admitted I screwed up. 

Next time, someone please remind me NOT to listen to that devious little voice in my head, the one that wants to pretend I don't have a shit memory.



We'll see how much this one costs me!  

   

   

8 comments:

  1. Yep, happens to me too--more than I'd like to admit!

    Sigh. When will we learn?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...better late than never. I hope:)

      Delete
  2. ((((hugs))))) i've always been terribly forgetful - nothing to do with age for me! - so I've learnt to writing things down and put them where they need to go STRAIGHT AWAY OR ELSE!

    I still screw up on occasion tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of it just has to do with how much is on our plate. When you are juggling so many different things and thoughts...something has to give. Writing things down does help and yes...I am trying to get in the habit of putting things where they need to go right way and not trusting myself to remember.

      Delete
  3. I'm often going places thinking... what have I forgotten, I know I've forgotten to do something, if only I could remember what is was... Of course the moment I'm home, P reminds me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that feeling of forgetting something but you just can't figure out what it is or you get up to go get something from another room, only to get there and think "what did I come in here for".

      Delete
  4. I'm the finance person in our house. I always forget bills. Ugh. I hate the responsibility.

    How bad was punishment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not the finance person in our house so you know if he was asking me to handle it...it was important. Thankfully, the punishment wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. That night I thought that we might be having some fun. He had hinted earlier about it and I was so ridiculously horny. Things got started that night and he informed me that as my punishment, I would only be allowed to swallow. He would not be touching me. Not surprising, but given the state I was in, was a crushing blow that day.

      Delete